Kettlebell is a versatile projectile. With them, you can build both endurance and strength, while burning fat at the same time. They are very popular in the USA, and a little less in their homeland, in Russia. We have a kettlebell – a standard sports and military equipment. Meanwhile, the fitness athlete will gain a lot from training with unusual equipment. Weights can be picked up and less or more weight. Today, there will be no difficulties with this – in almost any sports store there are children’s weights of 8 kg, and “weights” for CrossFit with a step of a kilogram.
Features of kettlebell training
The Western world fell in love with kettlebells because they allow you to train the whole body in just half an hour. Each exercise involves the back and legs, these are the largest muscle groups that consume the maximum amount of energy, so exercise with kettlebells helps you lose weight better than any other activity.
The main features of kettlebell lifting:
- Loads both muscles and heart at the same time, combines the benefits of cardio and strength work;
- Helps to save time on a separate aerobic exercise;
- Increases endurance;
- Serves as a good physical training for runners, cyclists and swimmers;
- Burns as many calories in 30 minutes as an hour of regular exercise in the gym;
- Works the muscles of the back of the thighs and buttocks, as well as the arms, shoulders and back;
- Can be versatile. Some exercises with dumbbells can be adapted for weight training in order to additionally pump the chest, back, muscles of the front of the thighs;
- Evenly develops all the muscles of the body, does not lead to pronounced muscle hypertrophy of any individual regions;
- Promotes the activation of the muscles of the “back chain”, prepares the body for more intense strength training;
- Improves performance in running and regular cardio;
- Helps get rid of stiffness in the hip joints, improves overall mobility.
Who is kettlebell training suitable for?
First you need to separate kettlebell lifting and fitness. The first is an endurance competition in the kettlebell snatch and the kettlebell clean and jerk, it does not imply that the athlete will perform any other movements with the kettlebell. Usually, professional weightlifters do GPP in the gym with a barbell, dumbbells, and in simulators. To improve overall body endurance, they run cross-country or swim in the off-season. Kettlebell lifting makes a person hardy and “dry”, but training takes a lot of time and a competent approach. The year is divided into the season and the off-season, during the season there is training in kettlebell lifting for the most part, in the off-season more attention can be paid to pumping up and endurance training. Kettlebell lifting attracts girls by the fact that it does not contribute to building large muscles, and allows you to increase calorie consumption so much that
Kettlebell fitness attracts people with completely different parameters. Kettlebells help to increase stamina, improve your figure, burn excess fat, and at the same time are inexpensive and do not take up a lot of space in the apartment. A pair of weights and a rubber expander will fit into any interior. Whereas barbells, dumbbells, and benches can only be found among fans. Kettlebell fitness helps you organize short, intense workouts, saves time and allows you to conserve energy for other activities. It is enough to learn how to handle weights once, and you will not need to choose gyms, drive around the city, and spend time on the road to the fitness center.
Of course, kettlebells cannot be a universal projectile for all purposes. They are not suitable for those looking to build substantial muscle mass and are looking to increase muscle volume enough to compete in the bodybuilding scene. Kettlebells will not help you to correct your figure if the goal is to gain a few kilograms of muscle, they will only strengthen the existing one and lead to slight hypertrophy.
There are opposing points of view regarding kettlebells and older clients. Domestic specialists with medical education usually advise going to swimming or Pilates in order to save joints and spine. But kettlebells are still more suitable for older clients of sports clubs because they do not create a torsion load on the back, unlike swimming, and do not contribute to overloading the ligaments, unlike Pilates in the simulator. In the great business of mastering kettlebells, a competent instructor is important.
Children and women can also do both kettlebell lifting and sports. Training does not put stress on the spine and does not hinder the growth of children. And for the safe development of the technique, there are either stuffed or rubber weights so that children do not injure their forearms while they learn to lift them.
- Stand straight, feet shoulder-width apart, toes slightly turned to the sides;
- The weight is placed with a handle in the middle of the palm;
- The projectile is taken from the floor with a straight back due to a sharp extension in the knee and hip joints;
- The forearm is pressed against the body;
- By extending the elbow and shoulder joints, squeeze the projectile up;
- Smoothly lower it back to its original position
The same number of repetitions is performed from each hand. If an athlete helps himself with his legs when performing a movement, this is no longer a bench press, but a push.
Swing in front of you
This movement is considered basic in kettlebell training, it replaces many cardio, the same one who waves with a heavy kettlebell 24 or 32 kg – deadlift. The movement can be considered coordination difficult. This is a rather rare explosive exercise in modern fitness.
It is done as follows:
- You need to stand up straight and, by extending the knee and hip joints, remove the projectile from the floor. Hands are on the handle, the grip is closed, but not in the lock;
- “Insert the pelvis” fully straighten the joints, the weight by inertia will go up to the level of the waist;
- Lower the projectile by bending the knees and hip joints between the legs in the hanging;
- Push it forward again without raising your hands;
- Perform the number of swings required according to the plan, and lower the kettlebell to the floor with a straight back.
Swings can be full, that is, with an upward swing behind the head, this requires good flexibility and mobility of the shoulder joint and is not available to everyone.